St. Nicholas Cathedral (Chram sv. Mikulase) from the Lesser Quarter in Prague has put its name into Czech and European Baroque era and is now Prague number one church of this kind. Its history is linked to Czech re-catholisation process that followed the defeat of the Hussites in the Battle of the White Mountain (1620).
The beginnings of the imposing Cathedral that we see today go back to the year 1283, when the place of worship started its existence as a parish church under the name and protection of St. Nicholas. With the change of authority in the 17th century, Baroque era began also for the Lesser Quarter and its buildings. In 1702 Kryštof Dientzenhofer himself designed the plans for the new Prague Baroque pearl. After his death it was his son, the famous Kilián Ignác Dientzenhofer, who completed the work and designed unique vault and robust dome that later became one of the Prague’s main landmarks. Another of his masterpieces is St. Nicholas Church in the Old Town Square, decorated with a superb crystal glass candelabra.
The Cathedral was added two new wings, Chapel of St. Barbara on the left of the entrance and Chapel of St. Anne on the right. The whole construction was finished in 1752 with the 80 meters high bell-tower, modified by Anselmo Lurago. Both the greenish Dome and Bell Tower are now symbols of Prague and most prominent figures of the Lesser Quarter.
- from 31st March to 2nd November 2007 (usually) daily except Tuesday from 18:00
|Concert admission charge|
- Advance sales and reservations until 13.00 on the day of the concert.
- Reservations: email@example.com
|Tickets in advanced|
- November – February: 9am – 4 pm
- March – October: 9am – 5pm
- April – October: 10am – 6pm (daily)
- November – March: 10am – 5pm (Saturdays and Sundays)
Last tour begins 15 minutes before closing time (or 45 minutes before the concert begins). The cathedral is closed 15 minutes before the concert.
|Enetering fees (cathedral)|
|Children under 10||free|
- Malostranske namesti; 118 26 Prague, Czech Republic
How to get there:
- Trams 12, 20, 22 to the stop “Malostranske namesti”
- On foot, just follow the way to the Prague Castle from the Charles Bridge