Walking in Lesser Town in Malostranske namesti in Prague you can see a large palace occupying the area of five normal houses. Lichtenstein Palace (Lichtenstejnsky palac, sometimes also called Ledebursky) was the first large Baroque building in Prague. It was built at the beginning of the 16th century by Karel of Lichtenstein, whose descendants own the Principality of Liechtenstein in Central Europe.
Karel of Lichtenstein is known as „bloody Lichtenstein“. It was him who sentenced and executed 27 leaders of Estates uprising on Old Town Square in 1621 after their loss on White Mountain. He confiscated a great wealth at that time. The leaders were sentenced just in this palace, this act is commemorated by 27 cast-iron heads on stone pillars in front of the palace.
Prince Josef of Lichtenstein had the palace reconstructed in the Classicist style before the coronation of the Czech king Leopold II . The building got a monumental staircase and a big hall.
The Lichtenstein palace used to serve as a post office from 1742 to 1791. Until 1753 it had been the only collection centre for letters. In 1827 the second industrial exhibition took place there. During the centuries the palace served as military headquarters many times.
The Lichtenstein Palace is used now by the music faculty of the Academy of Performing Arts. There is a concert hall with a new organ, an exhibition hall, a summer scene and a garden, lecture-rooms, a recording studio, a library, a club, and many more.
Malostranske namesti 13, Lesser Town in Prague
How to get there:
Go by trams 12, 20, 22, 23 and get off at Malostranske namesti. Lichtenstein Palace is just behind the St. Nicholas Church.