New Town Hall in the Charles Square

New Town Hall First mention about the New Town Hall in Charles Square dates to 1377, but not much was left from the building from that time. Several parts were added at the beginning of the 15th century, the most noticeable one is the high tower with a big bell and a chapel inside. The wing facing the Charles Square used to contain conference rooms, the wing to the Vodickova street offices and a prison.

The New Town Hall served its original purpose as a seat of the municipal administration until 1784 when the Emperor Josef II. decided to connect the four Prague towns – Old Town, the Lesser Town, Hradcany and the New Town – into one with one town council. After that the New Town Hall was adjusted into a criminal courthouse and a prison with a torture chamber. Many people, especially revolutionaries, were kept here… (read more)

© 2008 |