The City Gallery Prague currently runs several sites offering temporary exhibitions of contemporary art – the medieval Golden Ring and Stone Bell houses and the 1920’s Municipal Library and a space at the Old Town Hall.
Founded in 1963 by the city council, the gallery was given a task of collecting, studying and exhibiting Czech art of the 19th and 20th centuries. Beside that, it was also responsible for restoration and erection of monuments, sculptures, memorial tablets and fountains in public places in Prague
The gallery is particularly well-known for its extensive collections covering work of individual artists or mapping a specific period. Drawing solely from its own sources, the gallery has organized more than 40 exhibitions which has been presented both in the Czech Republic and abroad.